This award-winning cocktail was created by Chiara Fung, premium bartender at H Tasting Lounge at The Westin Bayshore.
• 2 oz Stolichnaya Premium Vodka
• 1.25 oz fresh lemon juice
• 1 oz charred pineapple cordial (see recipe below)
• 1 oz pineapple jam (see recipe below)
• Garnish: dehydrated pineapple slice, pineapple leaves
Shake ingredients with ice and double-strain into a double rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with dehydrated pineapple slice and two pineapple leaves. Serves 1.
Charred Pineapple Cordial
• 1/2 pineapple, cut into 1-inch rounds, halved then quartered (including skin and core)
• 1 lemon, sliced into 0.5-inch rounds
• 1/2 tsp cloves
• 5 star anise pods
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 2 cups simple syrup (2:1)
• 0.5 oz orange blossom water
• 1 cup pineapple juice
Using a blow torch, lightly char the pineapple, lemon and spices.
Add to a sous vide bag, along with the simple syrup and orange blossom water. Vacuum seal and sous vide for 2 hours.
Open bag and add pineapple juice. Blend everything in a blender and strain. Bottle and refrigerate; will keep, chilled, for up to two weeks. Makes about 3 cups.
Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe.
• 1 pineapple
• 1 cup water
• 2 cups sugar
• Juice of 2 limes
Peel and core pineapple. Using a box grater, grate flesh (you should have about 2 cups). Cook pineapple and water over medium-low heat until pineapple is soft, about 30 minutes.
Stir in sugar and lime juice. Cook until thick, 45 to 60 minutes. Will keep in the fridge for up to 3 months.
—by Chiara Fung