Inspired by the Canadian motto, meaning “Sea to Sea,” L’Abattoir head bartender Katie Ingram updated the classic Vieux Carré cocktail with luxe flavours from east and west coasts, including rum, rye and bitters made from Okanagan haskap berries and sour cherries.
• 0.75 oz (22 mL) Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23 Rum
• 0.75 oz (22 mL) Crown Royal XO
• 0.75 oz (22 mL) sweet vermouth
• 0.25 oz (7 mL) Bénédictine or B&B
• Two dashes Bittered Sling Suius Cherry Bitters
• Two dashes Bittered Sling Western Haskap Bitters
• Spritz of lemon oil
• Brandied cherry
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir until desired dilution is achieved. Julep strain into a rocks glass over ice (or, if you prefer, serve neat). Garnish with lemon oil and a brandied cherry. Serves 1.
—by Katie Ingram