Recipe by Jeff Savage, Head Bartender of Botanist Bar at the Fairmont Pacific Rim, for the Punch Brunch 2020.
The Punch Brunch, held at Botanist at the Fairmont Pacific Rim on January 26, was the official launch for the inaugural Vancouver Cocktail Week presented by The Alchemist magazine, which will be held March 7 to 10, 2021. For more cocktail recipes from the brunch, see: The Rye of the Tiger, Featherweight Punch Royale, A Bit Curious and Flapjack Punch.
• 1 oz bacon-washed bourbon (see note)
• 0.5 oz Cynar
• 0.5 oz chilled espresso
• 0.25 oz salted maple syrup (see note)
• 1 dash lactic acid
• Garnish: orange zest
Combine all ingredients (except garnish) in a stirring vessel and stir with ice. Strain into a rocks glass with over a large, fresh ice cube. Garnish with a slice of orange zest. Serves 1.
Note: To make bacon-washed bourbon:
- Heat up 25 g of bacon fat per bottle of bourbon on low heat until liquid.
- Combine bacon fat and bourbon in a non-reactive container.
- Stir frequently for 1 hour. After 1 hour put in freezer.
- Let mixture sit in freezer until bacon fat is fully frozen.
- Remove bacon fat and fine-strain bourbon with a coffee filter.
- Keep bourbon in fridge until ready to use.
Note: To make salted maple syrup:
Use a Smoking Gun or other cold-smoking system to infuse 14 oz maple syrup with smoky flavour. Combine 7 oz water with 0.35 oz smoked Maldon sea salt and stir to dissolve. Stir in the smoked maple syrup until fully incorporated. Keep chilled and sealed until ready to use.