Named for the park located across from the armoury on the edge of Kitsilano, the Seaforth Swizzle is “a super bright and refreshing drink,” says its creator, Kevin Brownlee, bar manager at AnnaLena. You can purchase velvet falernum at The Modern Bartender or Gourmet Warehouse, or make your own with the recipe below. To find Bucha Brew, visit buchabrew.ca for a list of retailers.
• 2 oz (60 mL) Havana Club 7 rum
• 0.75 oz (22 mL) velvet falernum (see below)
• 1 oz (30 mL) fresh lime juice
• 2 oz (60 mL) Bucha Brew grapefruit kombucha
• 3 dashes Bittered Sling Grapefruit & Hops bitters
Combine all ingredients in a Collins glass. Add crushed ice until the glass is three-quarters full. Swizzle with a swizzle stick or anything that will allow for swizzle motion. Top up with crushed ice and garnish with fresh mint leaves and a slice of grapefruit. Serves 1.
• 1 bottle (750 mL) Havana Club 3 rum
• Zest of 15 limes
• 12 cloves
• 6 allspice berries
• 2 inch (5 cm) chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into quarter-size pieces
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) almond extract
• 3 quarts (3 L) simple syrup
Pour rum into a clean jar that is large enough to hold a gallon (4 litres) of liquid.
Zest the limes over the rum to catch the essential oils. Add cloves, allspice berries, ginger and almond extract. Cover, place in a cool, dark place and allow to infuse for three days.
Strain solids from liquids using cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Add simple syrup and stir. Pour into sterilized bottles and refrigerate; this should keep, chilled, for several months. Makes about 1 gallon (4 litres).
—by Kevin Brownlee, bar manager at AnnaLena restaurant.