Coffee + booze + cream = cold-weather bliss.
We say it’s time to bring the special coffee off the ski hill and back into our after-dinner repertoire, just in time for the chilly days ahead.
Homemade Irish Cream Coffee
• 2 oz homemade Irish cream (see recipe below)
• 5 oz strong, fresh-brewed coffee
• Chantilly or whipped cream (see note)
• Optional: Fresh grated hazelnut to taste
Place Irish cream and coffee in a preheated coffee mug. Spoon cream on top, or use an iSi canister to apply. If you like, garnish with a bit of freshly grated hazelnut. Serves 1.
Note: To make Chantilly cream, whip 1 cup heavy cream, 0.5 tsp vanilla extract and 1 Tbsp granulated sugar together until soft peaks form.
Homemade Irish Cream
• 1 can (390 g) condensed milk
• 1 tsp cocoa powder
• 1 tsp instant coffee
• 1 cup 10% cream (half-and-half)
• 1 cup Wiser’s or Irish whisky
• 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a 1L glass jar or other container and whisk together until blended. Seal, label and refrigerate. Consume within a week or so. Makes about 3 cups.
—by Justin Taylor