Good Vibes Only. Photo courtesy of Donnelly Group
Available at Granville Room. I basically grew up as a bartender at Granville Room so it will always hold a special place for me. Good Vibes Only is a drink that came along mid-2020. It started as a Collins-style drink and found its way into the frozen drink machine and is currently being poured in slush format.
• 2 oz gin (preferably Beefeater London Dry, which has lots of citrus and juniper)
• 0.5 oz St-Germain elderflower liqueur
• 0.5 oz crème de cassis (blackcurrant liqueur)
• 0.5 oz lemon juice
Sangue Di Tigre by Sopra Sotto’s bar manager Daniel Dominguez. Origami Social photo
Recipe courtesy of bartender Daniel Dominguez, bar manager at Sopra Sotto.
• 1 oz Siete Misterios mezcal (Doba Yej)
• 1 oz Aperol
• 0.75 oz lime juice
• 0.25 oz simple syrup
• Ginger beer
• Dash of crème de cassis
Spinnakers small batch spirits are distilled in their seaside distillery. Made with 100% BC grown malted grains and water from their on-site artesian well.
308 Catherine Street, Victoria
• Spinnakers Classic Vodka
• Spinnakers London Dry Gin,
• Au Currant Crème de Cassis
• Chocoholic Crème de Cacao
• Cranberry Gin
• Pink Grapefruit Gin
The Drive cocktail from Odd Society Spirits. RD Cane photo
Recipe from Odd Society Spirits.
• 1 oz Odd Society Prospector Rye Whisky
• 0.75 oz Odd Society Bittersweet Vermouth
• 0.25 oz Odd Society Crème de Cassis
• Garnish: orange twist, brandied cherry
Cocktail of the resistance
The elegant but rebellious Kir Royale is an easy party staple. Dan Toulgoet photo
The Kir Royale (or Royal, if you prefer) is the kind of swanky fizz that could have been conjured up by some posh hotel barkeep trying to impress a well-heeled customer. In fact, its backstory is much more thrilling than that.
Bruinwood Estate Distillery photo
Located on the Sunshine Coast, the family-run Bruinwood produces handcrafted, small-batch spirits from 100-per-cent B.C. grains, fruits and honey, as well as botanicals from around the world.
2040 Porter Rd., Roberts Creek
• Aquasen Vodka
• Mandarin Orange Vodka
• Espresso Vodka
• Plain Vodka
• Bruinwood Gin
• Earl Grey Gin
• Rhubarb Gin
• Pumpkin Spice Cream Liqueur
• Mocha Cream Liqueur
• Spirited Horchata
• Pechuga Espiritu
• Crème de Cassis
Liqueurs are an essential finishing touch for any home bar. Joanne Sasvari photo
One could argue that without liqueur, a drink isn’t a cocktail. It’s just booze in a glass.
Kylie Bartlett’s Gentleman’s Sour. Lou Lou Childs photo
A twist on the classic Clover Club
• 1 fresh raspberry
• 1.5oz Odd Society Wallflower Gin
• 0.5oz Odd Society Crème de Cassis
• 0.5oz Odd Society Bittersweet Vermouth
• 1oz lemon juice
• 0.25oz simple syrup
• 2 dashes Szechuan pepper bitters
• 4 drops Ms. Better’s Bitters Miraculous Foamer