This variation on the classic Champagne cocktail was created by the Deighton Cup’s Cocktail Jockey mixology director Alex Black.
• 1 oz (30 mL) Tanqueray No. 10 gin
• 1 oz (30 mL) lemongrass hibiscus green tea syrup (see note)
• 0.5 oz (15 mL) lemon juice
• 2 dashes Scrappy’s Lavender Bitters
• 3 dashes Scrappy’s Black Lemon Bitters
• Piper-Heidsieck Champagne
Place gin, syrup, lemon juice and bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake, then strain into a Collins glass filled with ice. Top with Champagne. Garnish with sprigs of lavender and mint. Serves 1.
Note: To make lemongrass hibiscus green tea syrup, pour 2 cups (500 mL) boiling water over 1 cup (250 mL) honey, 2 to 3 green tea bags, 4 Tbsp (60 mL) dried lemongrass and 4 Tbsp (60 mL) dried hibiscus, and mix well. Remove tea bags after 5 minutes. Let mixture cool to room temperature then strain into a sterilized glass container. Will keep in the fridge for at least two weeks.
—by Alex Black