Matthew Benevoli’s Ginger Bug Penicillin uses his homemade ginger bug.
• 1.5 oz blended scotch whisky
• 0.75 oz fresh lemon juice
• 0.75 oz ginger bug
• 0.5 oz honey syrup (see note)
• 0.25 oz peated Islay scotch
• Garnish: piece of candied ginger or a lemon twist
Add first four ingredients to a shaker with ice; shake for a few seconds. Fine strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass. Gently float Islay scotch over top of the cocktail. Add garnish on top. Serves 1.
Note: To make honey syrup, place equal amounts of honey and water in a small saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, until honey is fully dissolved.
—by Matthew Benevoli